WOWZAHH!

Sunday, February 22, 2009

So I was looking through my old pictures today, and I came across this ancient artifact. Wow. I was only 18 years old and Deanna was just a few months old (and she looked like a chubby little martian). It was taken at De and Don's (her adoptive parents) house when they lived in Raleigh. I always loved visiting Deanna, but it was so difficult. Sometimes I wondered whether seeing her was better for me...or worse. I can't help thinking about how different a person I was when this picture was taken. I was an insecure 18-year-old college freshman attending a school that I hated. I had no close friends, I was depressed, I was far away from my family, and I had just given away a part of myself.
It's funny how things work out. De called me a few days ago to say, "Happy Anniversary!" I realized that it had been exactly 4 years ago on February 12, 2005 that we had met. I can't believe it has been that long. They are such great Christian parents, and I have learned so much about how I want to raise my own kids because of them. A while back, I jokingly told them that they should adopt a baby brother for Deanna. They laughed and said, "Well get started!" Very funny. :)
All jokes aside, I don't see how I could ever possibly create something more perfect than Deanna Marie. She is absolutely amazing. And I bet that she would probably torture a younger sibling in the same way that she tortures her 153 pound Great Dane, Hank. She bit his tail once and got a mouth full of fur. The day her parents brought her home from the hospital, they worried about how Hank would react to a new baby. They watched in amazement as Hank ran five circles around the large floor rug in Deanna's bedroom and settled snugly on a spot right below her crib, as if he was protecting her. Call me crazy, but I felt so much more at ease knowing that I had THREE amazing people--Don, De, and Hank (yeah, he's a person too)--to look after my little girl. It has never been easy, but it has always been worth it...

1 comments:

k said...

Amy, your blog is amazing. Thank you for shining the light for the rest of us "new" birth mothers to follow. I placed my birth daughter in May, so it's still pretty fresh. Your blog is wonderful to me, I don't know how better to say it but thank you. I'd love to connect and ask you some questions...if you'd like to? k4adoption@yahoo.com

Post a Comment